Over the last few days I indulged my inner Norksie and created this Tafl board:
I kinda screwed up on the dice cups. I shoulda used a butt joint or cobbler's stitch but instead I did something...different. LMAO. I never followed directions very well:o
The leather is 8-10 oz vegtanned tooling belly. Both the board and the cups have been given a *very* small amount of neatsfoot oil to darken them a bit, as I am out of leather antiquer paste dye.
The attackers are made from small discs of Norway Maple from our yard (fitting, I think:)), and the defenders are small bits of kwila wood (scrap from projects). The King also is of kwila, but he has an antler dunce cap/crown.
The whole thing rolls up, ties, one end is capped with one of the dice cups, the game pieces are dropped down inside, and the other end is then capped.
Voila! Portable Tafl board.
The pattern on the game board was put together by Eric Methven. Much thanks, Eric!
Chicken Ramen stirfried with ~ 1.5 grilled chicken breasts, approx. 1 cup of precooked green beans (leftovers), 1/4-1/2 of a white onion, (minced), 2 dashes of Goya garlic powder, 3 dashes of curry powder, and 3 takeout pouches of duck sauce.
Hey all, awhile back I created an Etsy storefront to sell the fruits of my bushcrafty hobbies. Etsy is a website similar to Ebay but with longer sell times, competitive rates and more customization available.
"Thai Peanut Butter Ramen". As far as I know this has not been done so far:p
It wasn't hard to figger out. All I did was cook the Ramen (plain, without adding the flavor packet) and then add a huge dollop of chunky peanut butter, and some curry and ginger powders.
It was actually pretty good! I was afraid it would be horrific, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Thought I'd put up a tutorial on making a ferro rod handle, out of bone.
I apologize for the crappy pics, ahead of time. My camera wasn't adjusted right...and I was in a hurry.
OK, here we go:
Select a hunk of bone, antler, wood etc. This time I used fossilized Walrus Jaw. It was a b*tch to drill. Probably took me 15-20min/hole:
And pick your size of rod. I chose to use the largest size I'd bought (3/8") cause I figger if I'm gonna use nice material, might as well use a rod that will last.
Drill with various sizes of bits. A drill press would be magical. But I don't have any more pixie dust to make any more power tools:
Adhesive/glue. I use either 2-ton epoxy or superglue. Really doesn't matter, esp. if you pin it. I would have pinned it, but you'll see why I didn't in a moment.
Now you've got your shape roughed out and drilled out.
Now take your rod and rough up the end, give it lots of little scratches and grooves with a file. Go easy, this can produce showers of 5000 deg sparks. LMAO...
I didn't show a pic of the step in between where I drilled the lanyard hole, mainly because I was cussing up a storm (mentally at least) due to the fact that it was taking me forever to drill through less than an inch of bone. Keep in mind that this is FOSSILIZED bone. And as you can see, it is basically stone...and chips like stone, if you're not careful. I will fill in that gap later on with superglue...
Cut off your ends of your tubing with a dremel or a hacksaw, and file them flush. Then, chamfer them using an old worn out phillips head screwdriver or a dremel:
Now shape it some more with your halfround rasp. This is the point at which you really make an effort to make it all ergonomic-like:
Now, sand it to 1500 grit in steps, using your dremel with rough sanding drum or 100 grit sandpaper, and then 320, and so on and so forth. I just skipped from 320 grit to 1500 cause I don't have any grits in between right now...either way is fine as long as you smooth it out:
Now put it in your seasoning potion (50/50 Linseed Oil and Turps) to cure:
And wait a week or two. Then, take it out, let it air-cure for a few days to a week, and then buff with beeswax, and wa-la! You dun made yourself a nice custom firesteel
Found this hawthorn bush a week or two ago, the haws are ripening!
This is the first time I have ever seen the fruits on a hawthorn bush.
Round here I always miss them, or the birds get them, or maybe they don't fruit where they usually grow (under the trees, not enough sunlight?)
Either way I am going to take a walk tomorrow and see if they are ready...
DIY ceramic strop rod made from a steel furnace element that an online friend sent me:
He provided the rod and a piece of pine for the handle. I put it together using a drill, some glue, a half-round rasp, a piece of brass tubing, some sandpaper and a whole lot of elbow grease.
Finished with BLO with a white leather wrist thong.
Works a treat!
Handstitched, dyed using FrauHilda's beautful chestnut brown pigment dye mix, and finished on the outside with my DIY beeswax and turpentine waterproofer. I sprayed the inside with some silicone waterproofing spray (e.g. Scotchgard type stuff).
I like to read, write, hunt, hike, backpack, listen to music, worship God, and sit under trees. I love good gear, things that go BANG, things that are sharp, good tobacco, good beer (think Guinness) and good coffee/tea.
Recently I have been getting into learning and implementing primitive living skills, also known as Bushcraft. I have also been a prepper since 1998 or earlier.