Browncoats Unite!

Browncoats Unite!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Birch Bark Knife Sheath Make-Along:

Cross-Posted from BCUSA:

I ran across this tonight...
YouTube - bushcraft, birch bark knife sheath:


(Thank You Fredde for such a great idea!:)
And then this:
http://www.pinewoodforge.com/sheath.making.html

So I decided to have a go at it.

Unfortunately the pieces of wood I used were twisted and hard to align so I had to mix a bit of the modern in with the primitive...using electrical tape to keep em nice and tight.

Pics of the harvesting field:




I sat out there and honed my axe to a keen edge with some 600 and 1500 grit sandpaper, whilst having a smoke to keep the skeeters at bay.

On the way in I had noted a couple of key places where there were birch large enough to score...I knew there wasn't a whole lot of white birch around here but I figured hey, I'll give it a go:


None of these were big enough for my needs, nor did I want to stunt or risk damaging young birch saplings, which are fairly rare in this area. So I moved on...back out the way I came.

Then I found it...and denuded it.



No worries though, I took good care not to score the cambium much at all. If anything will be a problem for it, I'd think it would be the ants.

My birch bark roll:


Back at home I split some seasoned birch and carved it to shape. I started to use some cherry I'd cut from a standing snag the other day but unfortunately it was pretty damp and also too small.
These steps I did outside but when it got too buggy and dark to see I went indoors:


One side (almost) finished!

This is (roughly) how I folded the inner vertical layer of bark.


I ended up trimming it a lot more though so I could manageably wrap it.

From the tinder shavings a shrafty sheath shall be born:










I know, I know, a pretty rudimentary job. But it holds like a tiger's claw and weighs next to nothing. I'm very impressed. The retention on this thing is incredible for such a primitive piece. I shook it upside down for several seconds (hard) and it never wiggled. It snaps in nicely but I don't understand why or how. Who needs Kydex anyway? LOL!

PMZ

2 comments:

SWEDISH BUSHCRAFT said...

hahaha,,, that was nice,
respect :0)

Le Loup said...

Woodland Indian knife sheaths I believe were sometimes made out of birch bark in the traditional sheath shape, then covered with leather.
No birch bark here, so I made the sheath for my hunting knife out of heavy leather, then covered it in clothing weight leather and beaded the neck with #7 French white glass beads. Turned out very well.
Regards.