Browncoats Unite!

Browncoats Unite!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Made a net...

Just made my first net the other night, it's kinda cool except for the fact that the bottom edge is sort of ragged, perhaps I'll make another:)




















Nets like this can be used to trap birds and small animals, especially when weighted or rigged to a snare device. This one's made of 550 cord with the guts still in. All I did was tie long, doubled-up strands perpendicular to the top strand utilizing lark's head knots, and tying opposing strands together from side to side in simple overhand knots.
What do you think?
PMZ

4 comments:

Mungo Says Bah! said...

Very nice! Can you share the pattern, or technique that you used?

Cheers,

Mungo

Shy Wolf said...

Suh-weeeeeet, Mon! Nice to have nets around- small game, fish, men (lol).
Perhaps some sticks on the ragged edge and you could use it in a sweeping fashion, kinda like we do when netting fish?
How large a mesh is it? If it's less than 2" it may be suitable for large fish like suckers/carp.
Shy

Berserker said...

Well, I gave it to a friend for Christmas.
But what I did was I strung a long piece of cord up between the bedposts, made some doubled-up pieces, and attached them at intervals to the main top cord using the lark's head knot. However this tends to slide so therefore I don't think I'm going to do that again, perhaps I'll use a different knot for the ends.
But for the individual knots (in the middle of the mesh) I just used overhand knots.
I basically just moved back and forth, and whenever I reached one end of of the net I'd knot the outside cord to the inner one down farther.
This would be a sort of rectangular net:)
PMZ

Berserker said...

Shy Wolf,
IIRC it was about 2-3" in the mesh. So yes it probably would work for fish but they'd have to be mighty big critters! I intended it as a small game net though.
LOL.
PMZ