Browncoats Unite!

Browncoats Unite!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shotshell Candle...

This is something my Great Grandpa taught me, he said he used to carry one in his pocket while hunting to more easily start a fire in the woods.
All it is is a 16 gauge shotshell, the old cardboard type. These may be hard to find depending on where you live and who you know, but look around.



Then you melt wax and a wick and drip it inside. This one I didn't do right, I just took a small candle, carved it down, and shoved it inside. If I had had the time and materials I would've done it right, but alas, it was not to be.



My Great Grandpa used to slip the 16 gauge candle inside a plastic 10-gauge shell to keep it dry and protected, but I don't think I have any 10ga shells. But it's worth a shot!
The beauty of this is that as the candle burns down, so can the waxed cardboard shell; it won't melt like plastic and burn your hands or smell bad.

Cheers,
PMZ

No comments: